That Feeling I Get!

Just think for a moment how you feel when you stand on top of a mountain looking down over a valley far below with the wind blowing through your hair.  You step closer to the edge, but not too close, to get a better look.  That feeling...a bit of trembling, fear, trepidation...it causes you to lose your breath a little.  Do you know what I mean?  It is the same feeling that you get when you sit in a deer stand waiting for that sound to walk out of the bushes.  Your only hope is that whatever it is can't hear your heart pounding out of your chest!  Or how about that feeling that you get when watching a scary movie?  Have you ever seen The Strangers?  If so, then there is a particular scene where one of the lead actors has hidden in a pantry closet to avoid being found by a killer.  The killer is clearly visible through the shutters of the pantry door as he stops briefly and surveys the area.  While stopped in front of the door, the young lady that is hiding tries desperately to keep her breathing under control as fear grips her.  Will the killer fling open the door, or not?  It is a breathtaking moment!  Or how about the first hill of that giant roller coaster?  Remember how it feels as you reach the peak and you are now staring at what appears to be a straight down drop...wow!  The coaster slows to crawl and gives you a great look!  Then, it advances forward in a downward motion and before long you are racing downward.  As the wind races into your face, your breath is taken momentarily, but the rush, the adrenaline, the thrill brings a smile to your face after that brief moment of anxiety, and when it's all over, you're ready to do it again!  It's the thrill that keeps you longing for more...it's that feeling of excitement!

For me, geocaching produces a similar feeling.  And while others may find the joy in those small trinkets, it's all about the hunt for me.  It's that feeling of accomplishment that I have when I realize what I've just done and I'm able to sign that log.  It's the fact that I've located this tiny cache in the woods, on a trail, 233 miles from my home, with only a set of coordinates and a hint, or two.  Never mind the fact that I may have not known exactly what I was looking for even looked like!  Most of the times I only know if it is large or small, or what type of container it may be.  When I'm close, it is up to me to figure out where this dastardly minded individual has actually placed the item I'm looking for, or how he/she has concealed it.  And for what????  A few trinkets of dollar store items??  No.  For me it is about that feeling of accomplishment.  That feeling.  That's what brings me back for more.  How about you?

  
One of the more creative geocache containers that we've found.


 Another one of those creative containers.


This container was laying at the bottom of a pine tree with other limbs...that's just unfair!
 
One of our favorites!

After a few weeks of geocaching hiatus, my wife and I were able to finally get out yesterday and do a bit of geocaching in our beautiful city of Valdosta.  We found logged six and didn't have any DNFs!  It was a great day!


Comments

  1. Its always fun to see creative containers. Those are always a favorite for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts