Geocaching Has Caused Complications With a Longtime Friend...Help!

I usually don't make it a habit to air out my dirty laundry with others, but what I'm going through now is so significant, that I thought I'd take a moment to share it with my blog family.  Perhaps you can relate to what I'm currently going through, but if not, just know that a time may come when you will have to deal with a similar situation.

There's no mistaking the fact that geocaching has changed my life.  In fact, there has been a logical progression of change (and I'm very happy about it) that I can easily chart.  It goes something like this:  geocaching led to getting out with the family more, which led to more time in Georgia State Parks, which led to hiking, which led to camping, which led to the start of the Life Outside My Door blog, which led to better physical fitness, which led to a happier family, plus me!  Who can argue with those results?

Who?  You ask.  Well, the who has really made a big issue of the fact that I have shown a lot of neglect and a considerable lack of dependence on him lately.  I'm constantly being reminded that we don't hang out anymore and we don't just sit around and "chill" like we used to.  Heck, we didn't even watch near the amount of football games this past year as we used to.

In reality, my friend of 19 years is correct.  We really don't sit around and "chill" like we used to and I certainly don't turn to him for help like I once did.  I don't even deny the fact that he has helped me "take a load off" more times than I can count.  The fact is, he has always been there for me with open arms.

Well, in spite of my realization, I don't intend to change anytime soon; my friend will just have to deal with it.  Sure, I'll continue to let him hang (sit) around, but he'll just have to understand that my lifestyle has changed.  We definitely won't be spending as much time together as we once did!!

Meet my longtime friend:

My La-Z-Boy Rocker Recliner
Purchased in 1993 and has seen others come and go.

Any suggestions to help me ease the pain of this complicated relationship will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

  1. Maybe he'll feel better if you got him a travel bug tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great suggestion, Dave! Thanks.

    By the way, we are gonna use the suggestion that you made about my the travel bugs in honor of our geodogs. I'll keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An old chair is very comforting. It conforms to your body and you "fit" right in there. Let him know that he's still important, you'll still be friends but you have moved on to other activities and if he can't understand that then he will just have to wait for football season to bond with the boys. Move him to a sunny place in the house and nestle in for a good book, surfing on your laptop or just a nap now and then. After 19 years, you guys will work it out. Best of luck to the both of you!
    I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have actually spent a lot of time in that old chair this past weekend. I started getting sick on Friday and it lasted all weekend. My friend was there to support me the whole time!

      Delete
  4. ROFL. Leave one of your used tee shirts laying on his arm so he can smell you and a clock ticking on his seat so he thinks it's your beating heart. I'd also put an 8x10 photo of the 2 of you in a frame on the table next to him.

    People let me tell you 'bout my best friend,
    He's a warm hearted person who'll love me till the end.
    People let me tell you bout my best friend,
    He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down, my pride and joy.

    People let me tell you 'bout him he's so much fun
    Whether we're talkin' man to man or whether we're talking son to son.
    Cause he's my best friend.
    Yes he's my best friend. (Song courtesy of the tv show "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" and written by Harry Nilssen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions. It wouldn't be hard to find a picture of the two of us together...LOL. Nice lyrics, too.

      Delete
  5. so sorry to hear about the problems with your friend. but you are in luck. i am a certified chair counselor.
    i strongly believe that if you own a truck and could take your friend on just one camping trip with the family, he would then be content waiting for your return in the future. the unknown and not being able to truly relate to your hobbies may be a large part of the issue.
    i wish you the best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Who knew I'd ever come into contact with a certified chair counselor? I must admit that your suggestion is one in which I'd never considered, but I will now. That's a great idea...thanks!

      Delete
  6. Lol. I really thought you were talking about a PERSON at first!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts